Prime Time, ProbablePrime's Weekly office hours for Questions, Tutorials and Documentation and anything else that doesn't really fit.
Here are the notes from 25th January 2021
These are rough notes typed by ProbablePrime. If there are errors please edit away!
Please do remember to check our Roadmaps as a lot of questions here are partially covered there. Do continue to ask them but the roadmaps are there for you to read:
Please use our Contacting the Neos Team section to reach out! Please make GitHub issues for your issues!
I'm Erin: Where the new fire icon?
- Erin's referring to the new badge we usually give out each year to accounts which registered within the previous year.
- 2021's has yet to be decided but when/if it is it'll be in the update notes.
BeanMChocolate: Since I'm running on the biggest potato in the server, and typically get 20 FPS in an empty home, how many more frames do you think the game will be able to push in the future once the platform becomes more optimized? (hopeful noises)
- over focusing on FPS is never really good. We have a lot of optimizations to do but we can't really state how many Frames they'll give you it doesn't work like that due to the number of factors involved.
- Double check your Hardware meets our hardware recommendations on our steam page.
TheSpecterLemon:Is there a way to rename inventory folders?
- not currently but this is on our roadmap.
BeanMChocolate: Will there be pens that draw shapes with textures like wood, cardboard, stone, and so on? I'm a bit nostalgic for LBP when I jump on.
- This already exists, check this video: https://youtu.be/Seu-vZmdLHk
YOHO: fine HOw is froox doing ?
- Not really a suitable question, if you want to know ask them yourself.
YOHO: has there been a project that made you go WOW ?
- A lot of the MMC submissions did, for example Time and Gears. Very simple technically but very very well put together and orchestrated.
BeanMChocolate: I want to bring over the functionality of my saiyan OC from the other platforms. I've been hearing about a update that would prevent material swapping with animations in the future. Considering I haven't learnt material swap animations for stuff like going super saiyan yet, this is a bit concerning. I don't know if I misunderstood this though. How would I do a material swap animation in the future when the change is in place? (I really think to the future too often)
- No such update is planned, you can swap materials however you'd like.
- See: https://youtu.be/K4I4kr9pQhc, https://youtu.be/9Ww47AyIupo etc for material changing videos/tutorials
Kulza: kind of technical but is there any drawback to driving the "max size" field for textures to retrieve the smaller versions of textures by default. does this make the assets load faster?
- Driving it is inadvisable, the Asset Variance system is trying to get the best type for you.
- You can do this if you want but I don't personally recommend it.
VRGameZone: Why would someone but a pro license?
- I think you've asked this before, please read this page: https://wiki.neos.com/Neos_Pro
Euphoria: are there any significant additions to logix or logix nodes in the pipeline at the moment?
- You can see my Devlog posts, and take a look at the GitHub for anything in the pipeline.
- There's also the Logix Roadmap board.
Crusher: Are there any less known features you're excited for?
- I really want to improve our Logging system and library etc. It'll make debugging and bug reporting easier.
VRGameZone: What would happen to NCR credits if some big tech company gobbles up NeosVR?
- Im not sure, perhaps the price will go up?
- Remember that NCR doesn't give you control or status over Neos, its just a token that you can use.
BeanMChocolate: Will there be a x, y, and z lock system to prevent pens and/or tools from moving across a specific axis for more accuracy when building objects?
- See the pen video from earlier questions, Inside the essentials tools folder is a ruler and a sphere which do this.
- Addtionally any 2D picture creates a plane that you can draw on, like a whiteboard.
Euphoria: are there plans for a universal gizmo in the future, as in one that will allow you to transform, rotate, and scale at the same time?
- I don't know, Gizmos are planned to be re-worked at some point. There are some small fixes for our current gizmos that I'd like to do but it might have to wait for the re-work.
Electronus: What kind of features are you able/comfortable working on? We know you can do logix nodes, but what about semi-major features like cache management?
- Everything, Time is the deciding factor though.
YOHO: so when we get the next update there is going to be a lot of things right ? or is every thing at a stand still (just wondering and i don't think you can answer this) it sounds like you guys are still working on things Engi: On the topic of the latest things you posted in the devlog, will we see them rolled into the next major update? Or would we get a smaller update just with your changes?
- All changes that are currently waiting should be in the next update.
- Queue is quite substaintial right now, but I'm not going to be sharing its contents here.
🐙Musashi13: Have you done any tutorials on spawning into a new world by walking through a door or pushing a button?
- Not yet no, do search the world browser for "world portals" or something like that to find my world portal tools world. Its quite old but shows you how to do it.
- Turk has some world portals in their public folder too.
Dionamus: What do you think about documentation being built-in to existing tools (sort of like how Rec Room handles this)? What about adding a gif to the documentation preview to demonstrate what tool actions/Logix/components do?
- I'd like that, its on the documentation roadmap.
ohzee: Literally just ran across this from a friend but how do Bool3s work in their valuefield versions? I have no idea what the "value: flag" field means at all
- Some fields don't render correctly in the inspector, datetime is another one. We might be able to fix this before the inspectors are re-worked but this will most likely be after this.
- Make sure there's a GH open for this. Thank you!
BeanMChocolate: So with that mentioned, I would imagine more buttons will get tooltips. Also, sometimes my UI freezes. I'm not too sure why this happens, and it doesn't seem to happen for anyone else, and it typically happens before I crash. Could this be a file integrity issue, or would it be a different thing. I'm guessing full hard drive because it really freezes when going into my VRC SDK folder.
- This is most likely not a Hard Disk issue. Its most likely your processor or Graphics card having a problem. From memory your system is below our recommend specifications.
BeanMChocolate: Does Neos handle material slots and draw calls like standard Unity, or is it more optimized?
- Its optimized in a number of ways, but please try to keep your material slots down.
AyeNash: Quick question, Where can I find public folders? is there like a certain place on the discord or do I just ask people for them.:huh:
- Take a look at Public Folders.