Prime Time, ProbablePrime's Weekly office hours for Questions, Tutorials and Documentation and anything else that doesn't really fit.
Here are the notes from December 7th
These are rough notes typed by ProbablePrime. If there are errors please edit away!
Please do remember to check our Roadmaps as a lot of questions here are partially covered there. Do continue to ask them but the roadmaps are there for you to read:
Please use our Contacting the Neos Team section to reach out! Please make GitHub issues for your issues!
Hidi:Is there a page on the wiki or website documenting what the end goal of neos as a platform is?
- The best page for this right now, is the Whitepaper and Neos_Wiki:Environmental_Impact_and_Sustainability
- Our new website will likely expand on this as it'll be a good place to learn about Neos.
Hidi: Do alternate audio tracks on VideoTextureProviders work for streams? I have seen them work for non-stream videos, but have been unable to get them to work with streams.
- I'm sorry I don't know.
oroshikirin: Plis Tutorial on how to connect Logix with Facets?
- This should just be the same as UIX with logix, or just generally "Logix" so try this: https://youtu.be/5xplINNXGco
- I've added some facet tutorials that involve Logix to my list.
yohoheyho: asks do you need more tutorial ideas or are you just really busy ?
- I have plenty of ideas but always need more, please provide more whenever you can.
- I'm just really busy right now.
🐙Musashi13: Can you do a tutorial on utilizing the Open_World LogiX? I want to have a door/portal move a user to a new world/session and close last session.
- Sure its on the list, do take a look at: https://youtu.be/lWQBf6eOwwY its certainly possible!
Jam10o: oh I was reminded of the existence of stackexchange's area51 program for new stackexchange network websites this week - do you think making a proposal there as a community would be worth doing, or too early?
- I'm not sure. If its a community ran board sure why not but inevitably when new sources are opened we as the Neos Team then need to support them or users complain. I don't think we have enough time to.
playz the piss avali: is there any updates on physics on neos where you can drop things without puting 500 nodes of where the grounds is?
- You can check the roadmap or this issue for any updates: https://github.com/Neos-Metaverse/NeosPublic/issues/22
- If we have updates, you'll hear about them on that GitHub issue first!
GreyFoxen: Will you wear a wizard hat, so you & BusinessLawyer match?
- I already have the wizard hat badge ;)
🐙Musashi13: Loved the tutorial on time LogiX. Would like to see this used to log user hrs per space in a world for working hrs logged.
- You could do this, I'd probably recommend a Cloud Variable though to track multiple sessions.
- Please also keep in mind our Guidelines which now have a User data Tracking Clause.
🐙Musashi13: To track a users quest/score/xp or whatever data set being used, what would be the best way of going about that? similar to in a game. forgive me if my questions are off track?
- In-game, you'd probably need to use Cloud Variables.
- Please also keep in mind our Guidelines which now have a User data Tracking Clause.
- You also have the option of using the HTTP Nodes or the Websocket nodes to communicatie with an external server/service.
MadWorld: Is there a way to change the default transparency for all current and new dialog boxes in a world? There are some effects that are too bright in the project I'm working on and the light shines through the dialog boxes making it difficult to work with. Yeah it's the inspector windows that's the problem 😞
- Not right now, but after our UI overhaul they'll be a way to edit the inspectors a lot more easily for look, theme and feel. We'll likely be going away from the shiny yellowy backing meshes too.
Duff: Are there any details you are allowed to share about karel hiring 2 additional personnel? (I.E. if they will be present like the majority of the team is in game, what their roles will be on the team.)
- I don't know.
playz the piss avali: how will the 50 ncr go down. Because there's no way i am pay 300$ to get rid of 0.0000001 ncr?
- I'll be discussing this with the team when I can, I think we do need to scale it back as the price increases.
- The same goes for Storage prices.
- If you want to get rid of your 0.0000...1NCR then feel free to send it to me or the Neos bot ;)
Jam10o: is there a good way for a host to pass variables to a world on "initialization"? is this another thing where the answer is "cloud variables"?
- There's an "On Start" Node in Flow -> events that might be of assistance here. it can initialize stuff.
- Also look at the DynamicVariable Reset components which control what happens on duplicate/spawning etc.
playz the piss avali: will i be able to use my NAS system to store stuff in NEOS?
- That's basically offline storage see: https://github.com/Neos-Metaverse/NeosPublic/issues/325
SHFR_H: Checked the roadmap and discord but still wondering if you get people asking about support for the Pico Neo Eye?
- Please create an issue for Pico Neo Eye - tracking.
YOHOHEYHO asks whats going to happen after the rest of the NCR is done being part of the patreon AKA , and what if there is more after 3 months. will it go to the community and more words?
- We'll likely continue to drop the patreon rewards as the price moves.
- Once all NCR is minted we'll have to either remove the perk from Patreon or we'll have to subsidize patreon with additional NCR from our buyback programs.
- I don't know which is the more likely of occurrences here. We have not announced any changes here and will if we make changes!
MadWorld: Was there a limited number of higher tier Patreon subs or did the team have to put a stop to it? Asking for a friend who was interested
- We kept these limited to control the NCR flow due to the high minting activity. We may adjust these or open them up after Christmas but before the 1st January I am not sure.
SeventhVoid: would there ever be tobii eye tracking support?
- Please make a GitHub issue if you'd like Tobii Eye tracking.
AshtonSparx: Could we add a system into this discord (using a bot) that changes someone's username nick to something readable? Especially with people who think funny accii text is cool
- I hate ascii text with a passion.
- The following is an incoherent ramble from prime about ascii art/text basically anywhere on the internet, its not intended to be directed at Ashton
- People who use it: You're not cool, you're not "hip", you're not special. You're just wrong.
- I can't read it, If I can't read it I don't know who you are. That's usually the opposite of what you want right?
- I encourage you to browse: https://twitter.com/asciiArtHelpBot which talks a lot about text art on twitter and how it affects accessible tooling.
- Before you cry "I don't know anyone who's partially sighted" see: Badges we have a literal badge for people with visual impairments and I see a lot of people with this badge on a daily basis.
- You're going out of your way to make things harder for people including yourself... for no gain.
- "I don't know anyone partially signed" you might also cry, we'll ok. Hi, gradual visual impairment runs in my family. My mother has lost 30-40% of her vision in one eye.
- Just use your ACTUAL NAME. Share your creativity with others through your name choices
- Tags like [Potato CEO] etc are fine, just don't overdo it. Stuff like "꧁☆☬κɪɴɢ☬☆꧂" just... don't....
🐙Musashi13: I got the vive pro eye and didn't have a DisplayPort on my computer so followed the steamvr chat to get a quality Displayport-to-HDMI cord but still couldn't link. Do we know what cord works? Or can the wireless kit bypass this issue?
- Apologies for this, but please head on over to HTC support. I don't want to tell you the wrong answer.
Earthmark: What would you consider the most impactful thing community members can do docs wise?
- edit the wiki!
- ANY USER REGARDLESS OF STATUS CAN EDIT THE WIKI
- If you vomit onto a page, it is better than there not being vomit on a page.
- Documentation is always: Good -> Better -> Best. Which is also known as progressive enhancement.
- If you don't want to edit the wiki then that's ok, But just put the information somewhere. Share the information!
Jam10o: it's a long shot, but do you know of any in-world tools or gadgets that can do face tracking on a video feed (or texture)? or is this a terrible idea which is why nobody has considered doing it
- I don't think there's anything here. You might be able to pipe a video feed to an external to Neos software thing and then pipe that data back into Neos though.
Earthmark: If a user does something in neos to integrate a crypto system via an external service, does that cause problems for neos steam wise?
- I don't think so.
- Please never do transactions though. This is scary and I'm really unsure if it can be done securely. If we can do it securely it'll probably be done by the Neos Team at a later date.
Enverex: A while back someone asked about when Froox may be back, the response to that was that people need to stop thinking of Froox and that he's part of a team and that the rest of the team are still here. Do you not feel that's someone disingenuous given that, for example, how many Neos patches and fixes have been pushed since Froox was away? This was raised due to some critical issues right now which have had absolute radio silence for weeks now, which has put genuine concern on Neos for businesses that are using it for official purposes. Rather than "some random guy in the Discord asked a silly question" levels of concern.
- I get irritated at questions like this. I understand where you're coming from but everyone really needs to think about Neos growing beyond just Froox. While its true that right now only he can push updates to the game. We're actively working on removing this issue. Essentially Neos is ran by a Team. I respect your question and I'll do my best to go get these issues sorted but feel I must speak up about this issue...:
- I'm tired of people still saying that "Froox is the only Dev" or "Froox is the only person who can do x". People sometimes won't even make GitHub issues because they want to speak to Froox directly.
- This simply does not scale. Please make github issues or follow: https://wiki.neos.com/Neos_Team#Contacting_the_Neos_Team
- I'm happy to answer questions all day via any method including DMs, but please take my answer as the same as "Froox's answer" when I do answer. I'm here to help.
- In another discord, a user who will remain unamed was talking about how Neos has other engineers that do barely anything. This Hurt, I'm right here speaking to you all once a week with my free time. On the Friday before this session, I spent 2 hours speaking to you all about Neos. If you look back at the past update notes, you'll see a ton of stuff from me with a lot more coming.
- We are the Neos team and we're getting bigger and better slowly. Please be patient.
After this session, Enverex reached out with the relevant issues they are worried about. We have the QC team investigating to provide additional diagnostics and information to hep the team see what we can do here. A huge thanks to Enverex and his challenging but important questions. If you have an issue or bug with Neos. Please make sure its on our GitHub. I apologize for hijacking Enverex's question to rant a little :).