Prime Time, ProbablePrime's Weekly office hours for Questions, Tutorials and Documentation and anything else that doesn't really fit.
Here are the notes from August 3th, 2021.
These are rough notes typed by ProbablePrime. If there are errors please edit away!
Please do remember to check our Roadmaps as a lot of questions here are partially covered there. Do continue to ask them but the roadmaps are there for you to read:
Additionally for this week, do remember that the Physics Update is actually composed of two parts:
- The BEPU 2 Update - This updates the internal Neos Physics Engine to BEPU 2, It does NOT include Rigid Bodies
- Rigid Bodies - This will be things like Gravity for objects etc.
Additionally, make sure that if you're having trouble with something you consider opening an issue. In some cases we may be able to help you out with fixes, improvements or information. Thank you!
Deplphox: Q: Have you thought of ways to make what buttons on the inspector does? I got an idea to put tool tips on the dev tip similar to how the logix tip shows its info when hovering over nodes
- That will be included in our UI Re-work. Check our UI Roadmap.
I'm Erin: Q: What's your opinion on a possible update to the world permission system where people who have Admin in a world would be able to override certain permissions similar to hosts? Examples being joining a full world and inviting people to a full world.
- I think there are some good ideas here. As i'm still new to the code base i'm taking a look at what possibilities we might have. Once I know I'll have to speak to the team and community about it. As some users may want or not want this. Surfacing options and providing power to them is a good idea but making sure this is done correctly is the problem.
Bigtin: Q: when is smooth lerp 2 coming out?
- I'm interested in this too, take a look at: https://github.com/Neos-Metaverse/NeosPublic/issues/2521 for some of my current thoughts
- I'm Erin has created several of the easing functions from there.
- Math -> Shaping -> Smoother Step could be seen as Smooth Lerp 2 :)
Shadow Panther: Q: Have anyone looked into the issue of time (de)sync yet?
- This issue relates to how users with slightly out of sync clocks who cannot join sessions. This can usually be solved by re-syncing your time within windows.
- I'm taking a look at this issue(https://github.com/Neos-Metaverse/NeosPublic/issues/2571) to figure out why this is happening and looking into a video on my channel to show how to sync your clock.
- I'm not sure why this happens so it might not be something that can be fixed.
rampa_3: Q: I found out during translation that the "Jump To" and "Bring To" buttons in the inspector are too non-descriptive about their function. What is your opinion on this matter?
- I'm used to these functions and like them so I'm not sure if I'd want their wording changed.
- You can propose changes to our strings via Neos Locale but this would need to be discussed by the team and community.
- I don't recommend using Bring To as it can be dangerous, instead use the "Location Pin" button to pin the inspector to you and use "Jump To" to explore your world.
Delphox: Q: What's the deal with bool2 3 and 4?
- these are bool Vectors, similar to float3 and float4 they can be used to store multiple Boolean values in a single value. You can use Pack XYZ, Unpack XYZ, and Unpack XYZW to manipulate them etc.
- Also see Bool Vector nodes in Operators -> Bool Vectors
- Also check things like Mask, And, OR etc. for manipulating them
- They'll be great for cloud and dynamic variables too.
Bigtin: Q: how do you vote on the github?
- On a github issue, select the smiley face on the right of the issue and then select the Thumbs Up.
- you can browse issues by thumbs up here: https://github.com/Neos-Metaverse/NeosPublic/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+sort%3Areactions-%2B1-desc
- You can also vote on issues if you're a patreon https://wiki.neos.com/Neos_Bot#Priority_Issue_voting_for_Patreon_Supporters
Deplphox: Q: Will there ever be a component that can hide things from a users viewpoint but not in mirrors, ect such as hair, ect
- Probably not, this is covered by a feature in the future called Render Layers. See these GitHub issues for more information: https://github.com/Neos-Metaverse/NeosPublic/issues/1277, https://github.com/Neos-Metaverse/NeosPublic/issues/1149
- some of this is also caused by engine bugs where transforms are behind or ahead by frames compared to the camera. These may be fixed with future engine updates and optimizations.
I'm Erin.: Q: does your patreon vote update automagically if it gets stronger?
I'm Erin.: Q: how can you use a transform matrix if there is no input for matrix or float4x4?
- I wasn't aware of the nodes here but a few helpful users pointed out where they were. Thanks to Electronus, Shadow Panther and Zandario
- Try the nodes in Math -> Matrix.