The Neos Moderation Team's Weekly office hours.
Here are the notes from 14 May 2023.
These are rough notes typed by CanadianGit, shamelessly stealing ProbablePrime's formatting. If there are errors please edit away!
Please do remember to check our Roadmaps as a lot of questions here are partially covered there. Do continue to ask them but the roadmaps are there for you to read:
Please make tickets! We love tickets!.
The next Moderation Team Office hours will be back next week!
epicEaston197 — Today at 16:03 Q: people wanted what back?
- These. The notes you are currently reading. They are back, you see.
Jackalgirl (she/her/hers) — Today at 16:05 Is it okay to ask about general NeosVR etiquette (as opposed to specific questions about moderation)?
epicEaston197 — Today at 16:06 Q: did you have a PSA for private sessions and adult content? Because I met some friends that think contacts is considered private
- We have had several, they reoccur as we notice issues becoming more prevalent.
- Generally, we return to providing a PSA on the 3 easy to remember criteria for hosting Adult Content. To host Adult Content you must ensure your session; 1) Is hidden from public view, 2) All users present consent to view Adult Content, and 3) All users are at least 18 years of age.
Jackalgirl (she/her/hers) — Today at 16:06 Are there standard ways to indicate that you're busy and don't want contacts to come into your world? (Background: I have a private build world that's open to my contacts, but when I am really focused on building, I'd prefer to not be interrupted -- I've been marking myself as "Busy", but wonder if there's anything else that people do and that I should be keeping an eye on too)
- Busy seems most effective inasmuch as VR norm exist around discouraging users to join a world that you forgot to set private, however it may not be perfect. Hosting an open session, even when under a busy tag, may suggest to users you would be happy to have folks set by while you work.
CBGENESIS — Today at 16:08 NeosVR have any plans or strategies to attract more users?
- We do! Nothing to announce or ETAs on when we will have announcements concerning them. Keep an eye on #announcements for future update.
Dionamus — Today at 16:11 Semi-development-related question: Have there been any "finished" moderation features that are pending to be added to the main build once The Situation™️ is over?
- Couldn't tell you if there were. We try, more generally, to avoid making promises around features until they are being actively developed and require community consultation.
epicEaston197 — Today at 16:17 Q: can we make a Neos moderation reporter in-game using the moderation API?
- Raith: No.
CBGENESIS — Today at 16:20 Are there live main Dev Q&A's?
- The moderation team is part of the neos development team, but you can also catch ProbablePrime for more technical and documentation related questions on Tuesdays.
rampa_3 (UTC +1, DST UTC +2) — Today at 16:21 Well, any ideas how to prevent blocking abuse brewing? Otherwise I fear we will end up like on our neighbouring platform, where stuff like "Oh, I don't like the avatar you wear today! Perish forever from my life, <insert profanity>!" happens..
- A suggested solution has been to provide additional options to users. If they have the opportunity to just block the visuals of an avatar to alleviate lag, perhaps they would use that over blocking the user entirely just for the sake of optimisation, as a visual block would achieve the same improvement and allow them to engage with users.
- More conversation around this can be seen on the Github issues dedicated to user blocking.
Jackalgirl (she/her/hers) — Today at 16:24 Question: What is your PSA for this week? ; )
- It was concerning consent in VR. Where the guidelines define harassment, how session rules can be made, and where we should collectively push norms in VR spaces.
Peter the engineer — Today at 16:26 OK so do mentors have any more right to remove content then a normal user.....
- No. Mentors have the same privileges and permissions as any other user, they have simply volunteered for a green name and badge to identify them as willing to assist other users.
Jackalgirl (she/her/hers) — Today at 16:30 What social norms are more or less unique to VR in general, and Neos in particular?
- I haven't typically been greeted in real life by some one hitting me with a baseball bat or a tiny man climbing up my arm. These are not necessarily norms we want to encourage - see the above comment on consent.
rampa_3 (UTC +1, DST UTC +2) — Today at 16:35 Don't you fear that AI will take your job in answering the already asked questions? XD
- Good luck proving it already hasn't.