The Neos Moderation Team's Weekly office hours.
Here are the notes from 06 March 2022.
These are rough notes typed by CanadianGit, shamelessly stealing ProbablePrime's formatting. If there are errors please edit away!
Please do remember to check our Roadmaps as a lot of questions here are partially covered there. Do continue to ask them but the roadmaps are there for you to read:
The next Moderation Team Office hours will be back next week!
the consent in the first place.
- In regards to the PSA on consent in private world - turning a world private does not imply the consent of every user in it to view adult content, please remember to ask for consent before any adult content is brought out, even when the world is made private first.
- Systems that require a user to consent to adult content prior to entering are fine under this PSA - we are simply informing folks of additional times they need to reach out for consent.
rampa_3 (UTC +1, DST UTC +2) Idea: How about having Neos bot spam peeps with the PSA when they private world for some time - doing a PSA campaign for a while? 🤔
- Not currently planned.
Earthmark Is the mature content thing the main thing that you currently see as problematic trends?
- Currently, our main initiatives are pushing a better understanding of user consent, described above, and a second around empowering world hosts to establish rules above and beyond the Neos Usage Guidelines for their sessions, and feeling comfortable enforcing them.
- Remember, disregarding a host's session rules deliberately can constitute harassment. Please be respectful when a guest in other people's worlds.
Duff Is the neos moderation extending its hand into the telegram side of things officially or is that more so it’s own branch?
- The telegram chats are their own branch, complaints and concerns will need to be directed to the admins and moderators of those chats.
Bisclavret Unfortunately with the official moderator team not officially moderating the unofficial TG (and from what we've seen, not present) officially there's no official way for the moderator team to have any leeway in what goes on.
Mysticporo how is everyone holding up as of recent?
- The team is busy at work and doing as well as can be expected.
Earthmark What would y'all say your main influences are for how Neos moderation and metors are structured? What influences is it based from?
- Volunteer roles in large online gaming communities and security jobs.
Squishy Dad Sorry. I meant in disciplinary actions for violators. Are account bans and ip bans not enough. Or can they get around it with a VPN?
- The ban evasion system cannot be discussed in detail, but it is robust and we treat reports of users subverting it very seriously.
Duff Has the moderation team thought about just having something built into the main menu ui to just have a button straight to the ticketing system just to cut done on reporting times?
- Planned for the future.
Bisclavret never having been banned, how does the ticketing system work/what recourse is there for say, appeals, to prevent malicious action
- If you received account restrictions, you will be notified in game by the Neosbot. It will direct you to where you need to submit a ticket for an appeal.
Succulentdragon Is anyone on the team tasked monitoring twitter interactions? I noticed there were accounts impersonating team members trying to phish information.
- We cannot directly take down false twitter accounts, but we try to identify them and raise the issue to twitter when we can.
- If you spot a fake twitter account, we'd appreciate it if you submit a ticket notifying us in the moderation ticket system.
Arfer My apologies if I missed something, but when you mentioned someone dodging a ban evasion, how would anyone know if they had been banned or anything of the like. In terms of anyone able to keep an eye out and be able to report it.
- If a user boasts about doing so or you otherwise find good reason to suspect they have evaded account restrictions. We expect these incidents to be rare, but welcome any information you can provide when they happen.
Duff Has anybody be it moderator, mentor or user invested time into standardizing a system/produces to allow users to be aware/ avoid nsfw content related incidents (I.E. pre warning systems, blackout bubbles or unofficial host pre consent agreements before entering/viewing said content)?
- The moderation team has established a rule of thumb for how these systems ought be made to be in compliance with the Neos Usage Guidelines, but we do not directly vet community work.
- If the system fails and users violate guidelines, we will act accordingly.
- Broader community resources may be available in some Neos communities interested in adult content.
brightness the protogen is there a way i can always stay connected to my account on neos instead of having it being disconnected in 7 days of inactivity ?
- Not at present.
Sharkmare For the sake of completeness sake and because ive had to deal with it on running my own games, how would the moderation team handle a false positive of evasion, how for example with people sharing a home where one user gets banned and possibly the other person is viewed as a ban evader.
- We can deliberately disable ban evasion if it is incorrectly denying a user access to the platform. An appeal would need to be submitted through the moderation ticket system for us to review the case.
Ikani [she/her] What should a user do if their issue/report is about a Moderator? Basically what methods are in place for handling problems with a specific Mod?
- We have a help topic in the moderation ticket system directly for mentors/mods/Neos staff, and those tickets are sent directly to the leads of the Neos Mod Team. You are also able to submit ticket anonymously.
brightness the protogen where is the option for the account locking?
- You can set your account to be remembered for 7 days and refreshed when you login with a toggle on the login display.
Duff Has the the temporarily brief pause in development had any affect in the moderation side of things (good or bad)?
- No, the Neos Moderation Team has continued all operations through the current pause in broader development. Tickets are handled, guidelines are written, office hours are held, and all will continue to be.