The Neos Moderation Team's Weekly office hours.
Here are the notes from 23 January 2022.
These are rough notes typed by CanadianGit, shamelessly stealing ProbablePrime's formatting. If there are errors please edit away!
Please do remember to check our Roadmaps as a lot of questions here are partially covered there. Do continue to ask them but the roadmaps are there for you to read:
The next Moderation Team Office hours will be back next week!
Lollerobot Q: Have you had a delightful January so far?
- It has been a busy but productive month.
VexVesper Q: is the linux build broken?
- Linux build is currently facing some issues with certain libraries. More details at Prime Time office hours or #linux-preview channel
Monarch Satilyn Zacherth — Today at 16:05 Q: i keep geting told to sign up to become a mentor because i help new user daily
- You can find more information on the Mentor program, including how to apply, on the Mentor wiki page found here: https://wiki.neos.com/Mentors
Lollerobot Q: How big of a chunk of all moderation is just the Discord side of moderation?
- Most discord moderators pull double duty - they also volunteer as mods on platform. Discord-only mods are a minority of the team overall.
- In terms of work, the split has become more even in the recent months.
VexVesper Q: i do have another question though. will you please not sell neos to facebooks "metaverse"?
- That much we can promise.
[USFN] Skywind Kitsune Q: How busy has moderation been lately?, it's something we often don't see as the public and gives us all a sense that neos is a peaceful place when under the hood it could be a very chaotic place.
- Other than the recent increase in discord activity, moderation has kept consistent. The population has been slowly rising, but tickets remain manageable.
RedEagle_P1 Q: How do we avoid NEOS becoming the next Janus VR?
- Dedicating Neos to being a platform with a unique vision and doing our best to execute it.
Lollerobot Q: Are you certain that you will have enough moderation power when in the next few months it will become very interesting? Can you theoretically get more moderators in a fast pace if needed?
- We are prepared to expand the number of available mods. We are working on a moderator application that would be posted public to the community. There is currently no pressing need to bring on more mods, but we would open up that application if we saw a sharp spike in user counts.
RedEagle_P1 Q: What's your user retention on new users for the game?
- The Moderation Team does not have access to statistics to pass on for new player retention.
Lollerobot Q: Do you have an automated system for the "overdue" ticked tag or is that all manual?
- Our ticket system does and will flag tickets if they have not been answered within 24 hours of submission
Alps Splash Q: The world that we log into, how do we default it to allow friends only cause it is always set to private/only me?
- Defaults are not currently adjustable, but you can configure the world on start-up or once running.
rampa_3 (UTC +1, DST UTC +2) Q: Just for fun, did you already received reports of type: "@XXX is FUDding in game, ban them!"? Just a little question that just popped up in my head, because sometimes people get really aggressive about magic numbers going down...
- We do not disclose details on reports to keep the privacy of users making tickets.
VexVesper Q: ive been wondering this for quite a while. there are a lot of furry themes on Neos. was Neos made by furries? (im a furry so no hate)
- The Neos team contains members from a number of social groups, but some are part of the furry fandom, yes.
Lollerobot Q: What would be an example case of needing to use the "reopened" on a ticket?
- If we close a ticket and a user responds with additional details at a later point, it will reopen the ticket.
Lollerobot Q: What is the most common question a new person in neos has for a mentor?
- Mixed answers - but generally we receive questions on how to bring avatars into Neos and in what ways the platform differs from its competition.
Alps Splash Q: How would you handle religious/political issues?
- The Neos Usage Guidelines are written to address behavior issues, not the motivation behind him, including political or religious. For instance, harassment of another user would lead to account restrictions regardless of whether it was for their political opinions, religious background, or simply dislike.