Frequently Asked Questions
- 1 Where can I find tool tips?
- 2 How do I change my skybox?
- 3 Where can I find log files?
- 4 What to do if the local database is corrupt?
- 5 Where does Neos save my worlds and data cache?
- 6 Is Neos open source?
- 7 Can I separate the engine and use it as standalone?
- 8 Can I change the Spawn point of my world?
- 9 I joined the Patreon. How do I go about linking that to my NEOS account?
Where can I find tool tips?
Open the main menu that looks like a circular Neos logo. Click on the Cloud Hub. Look for the section titled "Tutorials". Each tutorial world has explanations of how to use the various tool tips. Place your controller over a tool tip and double-click your grip buttons. This will attach the tool tip to your controller. It's typical practice to collect these in your local home for quick access. Use the world manager (connected 360 worlds widget) to go back to your local home and double-click the grip buttons again to place the tool tip into your world. Collect them all as you learn about them!
How do I change my skybox?
By using the material gun, you can use the secondary action on your controller to collect any imported 360 photo as a material. Then you can point the material gun at the sky and pull your trigger.
Where can I find log files?
First you need to find the directory where NeosVR is installed.
If installed on Steam:
1) Open your Steam client and find NeosVR
2) Right click NeosVR and select Properties
3) Go to the "LOCAL FILES" tab
4) Click the "BROWSE LOCAL FILES..." button
You can find the log files in the "Logs" folder next to the Neos executable.
Additional Unity Log:
Sometimes some errors are in the Unity's own log. You can find it here:
1) Go to the "C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\LocalLow\Solirax\NeosVR" folder
2) It's the Player.log file (or Player-prev.log if you've launched Neos again)
If you crash:
If you experience a hard crash, please check the following folder for any crash dumps, which can be crucial in resolving the issues:
1) Go to the "C:/Users/<your username>/AppData/Local/Temp/Solirax/NeosVR/Crashes"
2) ZIP all the folders there (if any) and send to the developers (ideally directly to Frooxius at Discord).
3) Provide as much info as you can about what occurred before the crash - anything you have been doing in Neos
What to do if the local database is corrupt?
In some cases the Neos' local database can become corrupt, preventing Neos from launching or causing things to not load (either worlds or inventory items). You will be notified of this corruption in Neos and asked to restart. If the automatic repair doesn't work and Neos still has issues or refuses to start, you'll need to clear the database fully. Things on your cloud account will be preserved, anything unsynced and stored in local home will be lost:
1) Go to "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\LocalLow\Solirax"
2) Rename "NeosVR" to "NeosVR_Backup"
3) Launch Neos again and Login to see if things work again.
4) If everything is in place and you have everything on the cloud, you can delete NeosVR_Backup folder. Otherwise you can switch back to the old profile by renaming the folders again (so NeosVR_Backup is named NeosVR) and uploading your local worlds to the cloud, before switching to the profile.
If that doesn't work and you have critical worlds that you need preserved, you can contact Neos Team for assistance. Make sure to double check whenever everything loads with a fresh profile before deleting NeosVR_Backup, so you don't lose any data.
Where does Neos save my worlds and data cache?
Neos saves all the asset files and database in the "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\LocalLow\Solirax\NeosVR" and temporary cached files in "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\Solirax\NeosVR". You can use junction to relocate those folders currently, until a setting within Neos itself is implemented.
The asset files shouldn't be edited manually though, as they are Neos managed and making changes to them can lead to the loss of your data or strange errors.
To relocate the files with the junction:
1) Download and install the Link Shell Extension
2) Go to the "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\LocalLow\Solirax" folder and move the "NeosVR" folder to the alternative location
3) Rename "NeosVR" folder in the target location to "Neos Data"
4) Right Click on the Moved "Neos Data" folder and select "Pick Link Source"
5) Go back to the "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\LocalLow\Solirax", right click in empty space and select Drop As > Junction
6) Rename the dropped "Neos Data" to "NeosVR"
7) Go to the "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\Solirax" and move the "NeosVR" folder to the alternative location
8) Rename the moved folder to "Neos Cache"
9) "Pick Lick Source" for the "Neos Cache" same as "Neos Data"
10) Go back to "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\Solirax" and Drop As > Junction
11) Rename the dropped "Neos Cache" to "NeosVR"
Is Neos open source?
Currently most of it is not, however we would like to open source it at some point in the future, to allow community make contributions to the core of the project as well or build new exciting applications. Neos is currently being developed by a small team and it is uncertain what the implications of open sourcing right now would be, especially on our ability to work on this full time.
Can I separate the engine and use it as standalone?
Right now this is not possible to do as everything happens in-engine. You can load extra CLR assemblies into the process at startup (fully dynamic loading is coming later), but custom integrations aren't available right now.
It's a possibility for the future of the project (especially if it's open sourced), although low priority, as it goes against its main philosophy, although it could be quite useful for many new projects and experimentation.
Can I change the Spawn point of my world?
Yes. Equip the developer tooltip and go to Create New > Object > Spawn Area. This will spawn a yellow circle which you can position where you want users to spawn. Make sure to position the spawn area itself and not just the visual.
If you registered with the same email address in Neos as you have in Patreon, then the process is automatic. Can take up to 12 hours for it to pick up. You get the Patreon badge in Neos and access to Patreon Swag and Patreon only worlds right away after it does.
Increased storage and CDN get activated after the first payment from Patreon goes through, this is at the beginning of each month.
If you have different email address on Patreon, let Frooxius know via DM on Discord and he'll link it up manually.