Frequently Asked Questions
Where can I find tool tips?
Open the main menu that looks like a circular Neos logo. Click on the Cloud Hub. Look for the section titled "Tutorials". Each tutorial world has explanations of how to use the various tool tips. Place your controller over a tool tip and double-click your grip buttons. This will attach the tool tip to your controller. It's typical practice to collect these in your local home for quick access. Use the world manager (connected 360 worlds widget) to go back to your local home and double-click the grip buttons again to place the tool tip into your world. Collect them all as you learn about them!
How do I change my skybox?
By using the material gun, you can use the secondary action on your controller to collect any imported 360 photo as a material. Then you can point the material gun at the sky and pull your trigger.
Where can I find log files?
First you need to find the directory where NeosVR is installed.
If installed on Steam:
1) Open your Steam client and find NeosVR
2) Right click NeosVR and select Properties
3) Go to the "LOCAL FILES" tab
4) Click the "BROWSE LOCAL FILES..." button
You can find the log files in the "Logs" folder next to the Neos executable.
Additional Unity Log:
Sometimes some errors are in the Unity's own log. You can find it here:
1) Go to the "C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\LocalLow\Solirax\NeosVR" folder
2) It's the output_log.txt file
Where does Neos save my worlds and data cache?
Neos saves all the asset files and database in the "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\LocalLow\Solirax\NeosVR" and temporary cached files in "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\Solirax\NeosVR". You can use junction to relocate those folders currently, until a setting within Neos itself is implemented.
The asset files shouldn't be edited manually though, as they are Neos managed and making changes to them can lead to the loss of your data or strange errors.
To relocate the files with the junction:
1) Download and install the Link Shell Extension
2) Go to the "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\LocalLow\Solirax" folder and move the "NeosVR" folder to the alternative location
3) Rename "NeosVR" folder in the target location to "Neos Data"
4) Right Click on the Moved "Neos Data" folder and select "Pick Link Source"
5) Go back to the "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\LocalLow\Solirax", right click in empty space and select Drop As > Junction
6) Rename the dropped "Neos Data" to "NeosVR"
7) Go to the "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\Solirax" and move the "NeosVR" folder to the alternative location
8) Rename the moved folder to "Neos Cache"
9) "Pick Lick Source" for the "Neos Cache" same as "Neos Data"
10) Go back to "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\Solirax" and Drop As > Junction
11) Rename the dropped "Neos Cache" to "NeosVR"
Is Neos open source?
Currently most of it is not, however we would like to open source it at some point in the future, to allow community make contributions to the core of the project as well or build new exciting applications. Neos is currently being developed by a small team and it is uncertain what the implications of open sourcing right now would be, especially on our ability to work on this full time.
Can I separate the engine and use it as standalone?
Right now this is not possible to do as everything happens in-engine. You can load extra CLR assemblies into the process at startup (fully dynamic loading is coming later), but custom integrations aren't available right now.
It's a possibility for the future of the project (especially if it's open sourced), although low priority, as it goes against its main philosophy, although it could be quite useful for many new projects and experimentation.